The Better World Tour

Do you know someone in Canada who is doing something extraordinary to make their community a better place? Let’s recognize them by shining a spotlight on their good deeds!

On May 27th, I will be embarking on a cross-country road trip to profile local “change-makers” – these are ordinary people who are endeavouring to make the world a better place for everyone by creating positive change in their community.

The Better World Tour will take me on a four-week coast-to-coast journey from Vancouver to Halifax in search of Canadians who are doing something remarkable to create a positive change in their corner of the world.

The tour will take me to eleven different cities across our vast country. Starting in Vancouver on May 27th, I will make stops in Kelowna, Nelson, Calgary, Regina, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Fredericton, and then finish up in Halifax on June 24th. In each community, I will interview local change-makers, and share their inspirational stories on my blog and with the Vancouver Sun.

Do you know someone who fits the bill? I want to hear their story!

Please leave a comment below or contact me with your suggestions. A big thank you, and stay tuned to follow my adventures from the road.

Happy trails, Joe

The Lipstick Project seeks volunteers from Vancouver’s beauty profession

Calling all beauty professionals in Vancouver. Are you looking for a way to use your talents to give back and make a difference? Here’s your chance to get involved with an amazing local charity called The Lipstick Project.

Based in Vancouver, The Lipstick Project is a volunteer-run organization that provides free, professional spa services to men, women and children who are facing significant health challenges. The charity was established in 2012 by a group of young women who wanted to bring dignity and beauty into the last days of people’s lives.

The Lipstick Project is currently seeking professional estheticians, hair stylists and massage therapists to join their volunteer teams in Vancouver and North Vancouver. Check out the following press release for more information!

The Lipstick Project seeks volunteers in the beauty profession to join their teams in Vancouver and North Vancouver
The Lipstick Project seeks volunteers in the beauty profession to join their teams in Vancouver and North Vancouver

PRESS RELEASE – February 11, 2015

The Lipstick Project serves up compassion with a side of glamour

After over a decade of fighting various forms of lymphoma, Tom Steele was dying and he wanted to do it at home. Today, just over two years since his passing at the North Shore Hospice, his daughter Victoria returns every week to give a little something back to residents and families through a volunteer organization called The Lipstick Project. The Lipstick Project, a Vancouver-based charity, provides free, professional spa services to terminally ill patients and is issuing a call for volunteers.

“When my dad knew he was terminal, we began to look for a home-like environment with top-notch medical care.” Victoria remembers. “That’s when we found the North Shore Hospice.”

It was there that Victoria and her family quickly learned that, in the last days of someone’s life, it’s the little things that become truly important. At the hospice her dad could use Skype to call his friends across the world or have his kids spend the night. Having family close and focusing on the things he loved most about his life, rather than the grim medical realities, brought comfort and peace to Tom during the last weeks of his life.

It’s that comfort and peace that Leigh Boyle used as the founding philosophy of The Lipstick Project. “Our aim is to really just give people a little slice of normalcy – and often that’s as easy as getting a manicure,” says Boyle. The organization, started by Boyle in 2012 and run entirely by volunteers, serves men, women and children across Metro Vancouver, who are facing significant health challenges by offering light, love and compassionate care through free, professional spa services.

While the organization has received a lot of support and praise from patients and their families, they are currently in need of more volunteers. “We’re looking for beauty professionals – particularly estheticians, hair stylists and massage therapists – who are looking to give back” explains Boyle.

The Lipstick Project is currently seeking professional estheticians, hair stylists and massage therapists to join their volunteer teams – particularly in North Vancouver.

To get involved, please visit www.thelipstickproject.ca or email volunteers@thelipstickproject.ca.