Imagine a child having to walk one and a half hours every single day just to attend school. Then, having to walk for another hour or more to do simple household chores, like getting fresh water or going to the market for food. That’s the reality for most children living in rural communities in Ethiopia.
Want to help change this reality? This week, I invite you to take part in Walk a Mile in Their Shoes to help support imagine1day’s educational projects in Ethiopia.
imagine1day works with rural communities in Ethiopia to build schools and infrastructure so children can get a quality education close to home. This gives Ethiopian children more time for their studies, more time with their family and friends, and simply more time to be a kid. With easier access to quality education in their community, children are better able to blossom into their full potential.
During the week of September 23rd – 27th, I invite you to join me for Walk a Mile in Their Shoes to help raise funds and build awareness for imagine1day’s work in Ethiopia. Each day, Monday through Friday, we will be holding a fun and social walk at the end of the workday. Each day’s walk will be of varying distance to help raise awareness for some of the challenges facing school children in Ethiopia. Join me for any or all of the days! The walks are by donation.
If you’re not able to take part in a walk, but would still like to support imagine1day’s goal to ensure all Ethiopians have access to quality education funded free of foreign aid by 2030, please donate here. 100% of your donation will support education projects in Ethiopia.
Here’s what you can do:
- Join us on a walk! Each day, we will leave at 4:30pm from the imagine1day office located at 2108 West 4th Avenue in Vancouver (please meet on the sidewalk on 4th Avenue at 4:25pm). The route will vary each day, but we will always end up where we started. The walks are by donation.
- Donate – if you would like to support imagine1day’s goal to ensure all Ethiopians have access to quality education, please donate. 100% of your donation will support education projects in Ethiopia. Click here to donate!
- Spread the word – please tell others about our walks. Everybody is welcome!
When: everyday at 4:30pm, from Monday, September 23rd through Friday, September 27th
Where: meet at 2108 West 4th Avenue at 4:25pm
Your Guide: the walks will be led by yours truly
- Monday – Average distance that children walk to get to the nearest school (in rural communities where imagine1day hasn’t yet worked) – 7km
- Tuesday – Average distance that girls spend walking to get water – 5km
- Wednesday – Average distance people in rural communities walk to the market – 10km
- Thursday – Average distance boys walk to take their livestock to graze – 3km
- Friday – Average distance a community leader walks to attend meetings with other local leaders from the district – 15km
Join me for any or all of the days. It will be a fun way to get some exercise, meet new people and learn about imagine1day’s work in Ethiopia!